Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bridges of Multnomah Co.

The Willamette (Will-LAMB-et) is a river that cuts through Portland. The downtown area of Portland is situated on the banks of the Willamette. So, it goes without saying that there needs to be bridges to connect east and west Portland (a fleet of 10,000 ferry boats just isn't cost effective). The neat thing about the bridges over the Willamette is that many of them are draw/lift bridges.

Going from upstream (south end of Portland) to the Columbia River (north Portland).

Sellwood Bridge - A really old bridge that will probably be closed to all but pedestrian traffic someday. This is a fixed bridge with about 75 feet of clearance.

Ross Island Bridge - The only cantilever truss bridge in Oregon. Whatever that means. This bridge is also fixed (boring!) and doesn't actually touch Ross Island (what a jip!).

Marquam Bridge - Possibly the least exciting bridge in Portland. Nothing too descript, but it does have two decks, one for each direction of flow.

Hawthorne Bridge
- My favorite bridge of the collection. It actually has a section that lifts! And is the oldest type of lift bridge in operation for the US. The Hawthorne Bridge also served as a neat backdrop for the Obama rally.



Morrison Bridge
- One of three actual "bascule bridges in Portland (and I thought they were draw bridges). I usually end up crossing this one when coming back from the airport, in case you care.

Burnside Bridge - A second bascule bridge in Portland. I think it is an architecturally neat bridge. And it has earthquake protection! I was almost stopped by this bridge once, but it was nice and let me cross.


Steel Bridge - A real original name I know. It has just about all kinds of traffic: cars, trains, and people. Honestly, it kind of creeps me out.

Broadway Bridge
- The third bascule bridge.

Fremont Bridge - Another fixed bridge carrying interstate traffic. Like the Marquam bridge, there are two decks. Allegedly, it is the second longest tied arch bridge in the world. I can see this bridge from my office, and it almost always looks busy during the day. Fortunately, when I've driven on it, the traffic was light.


St. Johns Bridge - I didn't know this bridge existed...need to get out more.

(special thanks to Portland Logue and Wikipedia for the bridge information)

No comments: