Tuesday, June 24, 2008

People on the Street

I have to say that a good majority of people in Portland are nice. Not the fake, "society says I should be nice, so I'll play along," but genuine nice. If you are in a store and mention that you are relocating to Portland, they'll go out of their way to tell you places to go and things to do around town. Even the lady who cut my hair last week went on and on about the different things I should do out here: the zoo, some aquarium on the coast with a completely glass tunnel underground, recreational adventures, etc. It is really helpful for a newbie to have this outpouring of kindness and help.

Today I was walking to work and received the most interesting of salutations. As I was walking past a bus stop, a guy waiting there said, "What's happening cool daddy-o". I was taken off guard, not because he spoke to me, but just that wasn't something I would expect to hear in real life. The funny thing is, this guy could totally pull off saying things like that. We looked like a 5o year old cool cat himself (I can't pull that off, sorry). This gentleman looked as if he would have been one of those late 70s detectives from the cop shows - the stylish african-american partner. The clothing he was wearing was definitely vintage, from his own collection no less.

I replied to his greeting with a simple, "Hey". If I see him again, and he extends a similar greeting, I will try a more eloquent reply. The funny thing about this encounter is that the rest of the day I was in a good mood. I couldn't help but smile the rest of the way into work as I replayed his greeting. It makes me appreciate even a friendly (and genuine) greeting, it might just affect someones day (and the might even blog about it!).

No comments: