Monday, June 16, 2008

Nerd Post with GAS!

One of the virtues of Portland, and a major reason for our move to PDX, is a mature mass transit system. This system incorporates buses, light rail, street cars, and commuter trains. Anywhere that is worth getting to in the metropolitan area is accessible via TriMet. In contrast, OKC has a bus system, trolleys in downtown, and a water taxi in Bricktown.

I found an interesting story a few days ago, about "Oklahoma's Painful Car Culture". It basically discusses how spread-out thing are in Oklahoma, and how far a commute it is for many citizens in the Sooner state. The story also listed the top and bottom 10 cities to weather an oil crisis. Portland came in at #6, or the sixth best city to hold up during an oil crisis. Meanwhile, Oklahoma City came in at #50 on the list (worst to weather an oil crisis). Now I know, OKC is closer to oil and refineries, so they should get the gas first. But since Oklahoma is a smaller population state, could they be bypassed for areas willing to pay more for gas? I think the main weighing factors for the list were public transit network, transit use, and other bike and human trails.

Back in Oklahoma, I used to drive 20 miles a day for work. Now that I live in Portland, the drive is 0 miles. In fact, most of the miles I've put on my car have been due to house hunting. For the 35 days prior to our trip to Oregon, I drove 723 miles, using 26 gallons of gas, for a cost of $87. During the 35 days I've lived in Portland I drove 458 miles using 19 gallons of gas, for a cost of $81. So, I have not been in traffic as much and not polluted the air as much. However, due to increases in gas from March to June, the savings has only been $6.00. I have a feeling that the next 35 days will be a one tank range. Worst-comes-to-worst, if gas gets too expensive, I can hop on TriMet.

So one of my goals, drive less, has been accomplished. Way to go!

No comments: