Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bonus Bridges!

And you thought I might leave out bridges over the mighty Columbia in our survey of bridges, HA! There are two Portland bridges connecting Oregon to Washington, over the Columbia River. Your standard massive highway bridges. The heaviest traveled bridge is the Glenn Jackson Bridge, which carries I-205 traffic from Vancouver, WA to Portland (because let's face it, no one would want to go the other way). I often hear of traffic tie-ups on or near this bridge during rush hour.

The other bridge in the area is the Interstate Bridge. This is an interesting bridge because it carries I-5 traffic, and lifts to let boats go under. Not sure how that works with traffic... I will have to investigate! This is also two, two, two bridges in one!

Oh! To be totally accurate about yesterday's post, there is also a railroad bridge that serves Portland, on the Willamette. It is the BNSF Railroad Bridge. Just wanted to be thorough. So do you see why it's called Bridgetown?

***UPDATE***
(6/14) I had the pleasure of diving over both the Glen Jackson and Interstate Bridges tonight! It was my first time to cross the Columbia River (unless you count the times playing Oregon Trail!). The Columbia is even more mighty near Portland than where we first encountered it. The Interstate Bridge gives you a great view of the Columbia River, and is a pretty neat bridge, if your into that sort of thing. If you ever head north on I-5 over the Columbia, stay in the right lane. Look to your right and you will see an amazing site: the Columbia River Valley with Mount Hood in the background! Awesome!

Old Mr. Jackson bridge, on the other hand, was not really that exciting, no trusses, arches, or trains (although there is a bike lane in the median). In my little car you couldn't really see over the side, and only once did I get a good glimpse of the Columbia (but it was also getting dark). The bridge is about 2 miles long, so it is kind of like driving on the Crosstown Expressway in OKC ... only I didn't have to avoid holes in the bridge deck while driving the Glen Jackson.

No comments: