Thursday, March 12, 2009

Giant Crab Attacks Downtown Portland!

It might sound like a headline from a cheesy monster movie but it's real people. Okay, maybe not totally real. There is a giant crab in downtown Portland, but unfortunately it is an inflatable giant crab.

We have learned from some more experienced Portlanders that "Jake the Crab" visits Portland every year for St. Patrick's Day and hangs out on the building that houses one of our favorite restaurants - Jake's Famous Crawfish. I wish I knew why but I've been unable to find the story behind the crab which has left my imagination to run wild.

So I think Jake is such a fan of St. Patrick's Day that he leaves the planet of giant inflatables to join the celebrations here on Earth. Now I can't figure out why he would come to Portland, Oregon and not Dublin, Ireland. But my theory is that he has some family or friends here so he thinks he can save some money by combining his St. Patty's Day fun while visiting his other giant inflatable friends. Whatever his reasons I'm glad Jake makes Portland his home for a couple weeks every year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man to hell with that crab, stealing my name and all.

I act tough, but I really wish he and I were friends. Sadly it will probably never happen.