Monday, May 19, 2008

Oregon Votes!

Oregon is one of the later states to have a presidential primary. Oregonians also have primaries for other offices, referendums, etc. You see, they like to get things over with, and not have elections for one or two measures every few months. Thus, Tuesday May 20th is voting day. What is interesting about Oregon's election process is that you can mail in your ballot. So, from the comfort of your own home you can take the time to research issues and candidates, make an informed decision, and not have to wait in line to vote. One catch would be that you had to mail in your ballot by last weekend, or turn in your ballot in person. Since 1998, all Oregon elections have been Vote by Mail. In 2004, Oregon had the 3rd highest voter turnout and often has well over 50% turnout.

In case you didn't know, the Democratic Primary race is still plugging along. So, Sen. Barack Obama came to the Rose City on Sunday to drum up support from Oregon. Being that I am in Portland, I figured why not go. I am glad I did! Based on estimates from the Portland Fire Marshall, and the Obama campaign staff, there were around 75,000 people who, like me, thought it would be interesting to see what Sen. Obama had to say.


The "gates" were supposed to open at 12:30pm. I decided to leave my apartment at 10am to get there and not wait long. Well, it didn't matter much, because people had started to line up well before I even woke up on Sunday. The back of the line for me was 8 blocks from the entry! And I think I may have been in the first quarter of attendees.

The walk to the gate was much like a political gauntlet. Operatives from many different local campaigns were trying to hand out pamphlets about why you should vote for their candidate. Other groups representing certain viewpoints were also present. As I got closer to the gates the obstacle course quickly turned into a vender mine-field. People selling all kinds of Barack Obama inspired hats, shirts, buttons, and stickers. There was a strong sporting event/rock concert feeling for this rally, and the venders added to that effect. I didn't see anyone selling hot dogs, unfortunately.

I did get through the airport security style gates by 12:45pm, but Obama was not to speak until at least 2:30pm. Two thoughts came to mind: 1) I should have brought a snack 2) I should not have had so much water. Fortunately, the excitement of the event diverted my attention. There was even an opening act, The Decemberists, who noted that this was the biggest person/group they've ever opened for (for those of you that don't know, The Decemberists are an indie rock band from Portland). They played for 30-45 minutes and helped get people excited, and made fun of the press corps ("and the anchorperson on TV goes Laaa dee daa de da de da dedadeda").

An annoying lady and a congressman (not annoying) spoke before Sen. Obama gave his talk. I think it was a little before 3pm when Sen. Obama took the stage and the crowed when crazy! He was as charismatic in person as he is on TV. It was a very exciting time. All in all, walking the distance to the event, standing in line for about 2 hours, and standing in the sun for more hours was worth it for his 30 minute speech.


Based on reports, this was the biggest political rally in the history of Oregon, and the biggest rally for Sen. Obama to date. And I was a part of it!

No comments: