Monday, May 19, 2008

Hot!

So, one of the reasons we decided to move to Portland was to avoid the Oklahoma heat. If you recall from the first nerd post, the average high in July is almost 80 deg F. Well, much to my dismay, the past few days in Portland have had RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES for May. Friday we set a record of 92 deg F. On Saturday, the high was 95 deg F (which destroyed the previous record of 89 deg F). This wouldn't be that big of a concern, except that my apartment DOES NOT HAVE AC!!! My four-legged friend and I were pretty miserable. To add insult to injury, the state I left because of the heat was unseasonably cool. The highs were in the 70s and 80s in OKC. Fortunately, the middle to end of this week will be seasonable (meaning rain and 60s) for Portland and OKC will be hot.

An interesting side effect occurs in OR with these higher temperatures (which a flat lander like myself wouldn't have realized until now). The remaining snowpack around Portland melts faster, causing the potential for flooding AND and increase in stream and river speeds. There were numerous cautionary stories from the TV saying be careful in the water, etc. Also, despite the 90 deg temperatures, the water is still VERY cold. So, you have to watch out for hypothermia. Pretty interesting, huh?

One more random thing, I am closer to the north pole than the equator.

No comments: