Friday, August 6, 2010

Best Baguette
















I was first introduced to the Vietnamese sandwiches, known as Banh Mi, while living in Oklahoma City. It took some convincing from several co-workers before I was brave enough to cast aside my daily PB & J and venture to Saigon Baguette (aka Milk Bottle Sandwiches) for my first ever taste of the glorious Banh Mi sandwich - it was love at first bite. These sandwiches vary slightly from store to store but generally they are comprised of thinly sliced pickled carrot and daikon, cilantro, chili peppers, some kind of sauce, and meat or tofu all in a soft but chewy french baguette roll. I enjoyed several variations of these sandwiches at various restaurants in Oklahoma City, but Saigon Baguette was by far my favorite. I also should note that these sandwiches are usually priced around $2 or $3, which makes for a great cheap meal. So when we left Oklahoma City for the bright lights (ok, light rains) of Portland, I was sad to say goodbye to Saigon Baguette, and hoped that I would be lucky enough to find a new Bahn Mi to fill the void.

Well my wish was granted when one day while driving to the library I saw sign that said it all...Best Baguette. I mean come on! That is a bold statement and I knew I had to see if in fact it was the best. So we stopped in for a lunch one day. I ordered the vegetable sandwich with tofu and Peter order the grilled pork sandwich. The sandwiches are pretty darn good, not sure if they are the best because I'll always be partial to Saigon Baguette, my first Banh Mi love. Best Baguette bakes their own baguettes so the bread is always fresh and few times we have been lucky enough to have sandwiches on very fresh, still warm bread. They load their sandwiches with lots of veggies and meat/tofu, so the sandwich itself is plenty to make a meal. The sandwiches are all under $3 (take that Subway) and worth every cent. We do hope to keep trying various Banh Mi restaurants in the area, but for now Best Baguette is our favorite.

No comments: