Monday, July 28, 2008

Venues to rock in: Crystal Ballroom


This weekend I had the pleasure of experiencing one of the music venues in Portland - the Crystal Ballroom. Going to see The Hold Steady gave me a great reason to go to a "landmark" of Portland (okay, okay you got me, I'd see The Hold Steady in a McD's parking lot if I had to). If you took the Bricktown Ballroom in OKC, raised the ceiling 20 feet, doubled the floors space, added an extra flight of stairs, added peculiar wall paintings, and add 90 years of musical and performance history, you would get the Crystal Ballroom. So the only thing the two really have in common is performances and the word "Ballroom" (both capitalized).

The main area was just like the name says, a ballroom. The stage was stuck in a far corner of the ballroom to maximize the viewing angles (just go with it, 'cause I don't know for sure). There were gigantic floor-to-ceiling windows on one wall, which were covered for the concert. At the far end of the ballroom there is a balcony where people can actually sit and watch the show (from 40 yards away!). The only 'crystal' that I saw in the ballroom was on a chandelier. But there were some neat wall paintings with a not quite mardi gras, not quite moulin rouge feel. Oh, and there was a little bit of air conditioning, a definite plus in my book!

For this concert there was a waist high wall running diagonally down through the center of the venue. On one side was the "drinking age side", complete with bar. However, the "sober" side actually had access to the front of the stage (where I ended up for the concert). The only disconcerting thing with the Crystal Ballroom was its floor. There was a lot of give in the floor when people started dancing around. I don't know if this is by design or a sign of the building's age. Whatever the case, I didn't fall through (bonus!).

Because of it's location in downtown Portland, there are few parking places. It is good because you can see the band's tour bus parked in front. However, you will have to walk a few blocks if you drive (I live 10 blocks away, so it was easy for me to get to). Then again, you can take mass transit.

If you are in Portland, and they have a band playing that doesn't offend you, I would recommend going to the Crystal Ballroom. It was a nice venue, with plenty of character.

For a review of The Hold Steady's concert, please click here.

No comments: